As with any recommendation, you should take proper precautions specific to you and your feet
1. Soak your feet in warm water with mild soap for 10-15 minutes to help soften calluses and clean skin and nails.
2. After soaking, gently remove calluses and dead skin with a pumice stone or emery board only if you can see and feel your feet well and feel comfortable doing so.
3. Trim toenails straight across. This helps prevent ingrown toenails. Do not trim them too short and use care to not cut the skin.
4. Smooth any jagged edges with an emery board, maintaining a straight edge.
5. Apply cream or lotion to the skin and nail margins. Use those that are free of heavy perfumes or harsh chemicals. Recommended products include Eucerin, Lubriderm, and Curel.
6. Massage the cream or lotion into the feet taking care that feet are completely dry before putting on your socks and shoes.